How to be a Successful Owner Builder and Renovator
9th Edition 2014
by Allan Staines
The New improved 9th Edition. An all Australian guide with illustrations and text that bring it up to date with the latest methods applied across Australia.
Companion to the Australian House Building Manual. Purchase the 2 together and save
This is all Australian title has large scale drawings to make it easy to understand how the various stages and components fit together. The Owner Builder is shown how to plan the house to suit the chosen allotment and the most economical methods of owner building.
You will learn how to identify and correct faulty building practices the correct trade terms to use and how order building products.
This manual will provide you with confidence to build a typical Australian home in weatherboard, brick veneer, cavity brick or concrete block.
– Practical Advice on How to Save Money
– How to Avoid the Pitfalls of Owner Building; Successful Planning
– Understanding House Construction
– Extensions and Renovations
– Planning, Specifications, Sub-contractors and Materials
– Identifying Improper Building Practices & Common Problems
– Using Building Tools & Materials
– Measuring & Marking Out; Fastening; Cutting, Planning & Jointing
– Extra Building Know How
– Designing the House
– Weatherboard Houses
– Brick Veneer Houses
– 2 Storey Brick Veneer and Weatherboards Houses
– Split Level Houses
– Double Brick
– Concrete Block Masonry
– Adding a Verandah or Carport
– How to Supervise the Site
– Raising a House
– Identifying and Correcting Common Problems
Over 440 illustrations
All Australian Guide
The renovation section of this book is almost entirely devoted to room extensions. For general home renovations see The Australian Renovator’s Manual